Thursday, June 4, 2009

Robby the robot

I'm not sure how but I came across the old SF movie Forbidden Planet . Movie poster has brought many memories from my early childhood.

When I was 6 or 7 my parents bought me this present. It was mostly made out of tin metal and I didn't know much about this robot, I just played with it.

At that time (1965) batteries where not included with most of the toys because they where not propelled by electric motors. I would wind-up the spring (like old clock) and robot would walk 1-2 feet producing noise and sparkles.

Robby was the only toy that 'survived' my early childhood :-) .

Few years later (1968-69) I watched the show Lost in Space on TV and for the first time I saw my robot in action. Apparently Robby was the 'guest star' in two episodes.

I was just thinking how nice it would be to find my Robby somewhere in my grandparent's home when I realized that many years ago I performed 'surgery' on my Robby to find out what's inside. All that is left are the memories and this blog entry.

Cherish your children and preserve some of there favorite toys (at least what is left), you have no idea how much it would mean to them 30-40 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment